on hope and the lack thereof

Last week I threw a party and while refilling wine glasses (well, Mason jars, as the party was so giant that I ran out of glasses) I overheard my dear friend Randy (above, running in the desert) telling someone that he was “an Obama man.” Being the needling third party noodnik that I am, I couldn’t resist emailing him some random smack I came across about Obama. (Why do my friends stay friends with me? I’m always doing rude things like this). He responded with the absolute perfect justification for Obama. It so captured the vague excitement that even old Naderities like me have for the dude that I had to reprint it here:

“As much as I am a man, I am for Obama. I am only barely a man. [Sorry Randy, when I asked for permission to put this online you probably didn’t think I would put that part in, but it’s cute].

I want an actor to place in front of the world and start to repair the image of this country. I think he will be the best actor in that role. Nothing more.

I have no faith in our system. I don’t expect I ever will. If I did, I’d be right there with you, voting for a third party. I am more likely to leave the country than grow so much as an ounce of hope that the system will be repaired or that our government will try hard to help everyone.

Sad, but true.”

Indeed.

I’ll keep trucking along for Cynthia McKinney, but oh, you realists. Sometimes I envy you for telling it like it is without guilt.

8 Responses to “on hope and the lack thereof”

1. Dustin

I want to know the information on Obama! Pretty please? Enquiring minds want to know…

2. jenny s.

you mean besides the fact that he voted for the patriot act, is for the death penatly and opposes gay marriage? he will still be beholden to the industrial military complex. dems or repubs doesnt matter they are all beholden to the special interests that really run the country.

as for giving up. i feel bad for people that have no hope. to quote from waking life:

What a bunch of garbage, liberal, Democratic, conservative, Republican, it’s all there to control you, two sides of the same coin! Two management teams, bidding for control of the CEO job of Slavery Incorporated! The TRUTH is out there in front of you, but they lay out this buffet of LIES! I’m SICK of it, and I’M NOT GONNA TAKE A BITE OUT OF IT! DO YA GOT ME? Resistance is NOT futile, we’re gonna win this thing, humankind is too good, WE’RE NOT A BUNCH OF UNDERACHIEVERS, WE’RE GONNA STAND UP, AND WE’RE GONNA BE HUMAN BEINGS! WE’RE GONNA GET FIRED UP ABOUT THE REAL THINGS, THE THINGS THAT MATTER – CREATIVITY, AND THE *DYNAMIC* *HUMAN* *SPIRIT* THAT REFUSES TO *SUBMIT*! WELL THAT’S IT, that’s all I’ve got to say. It’s in your court now.

3. jenny s.

and hes trying to be all pro israel. im jewish but im disgusted how north american jews are way more radically conservative than israelis towards palestinians. in general it’s pretty disgusting how they are treated. but in america you cant have a president speak to the truth.

4. GreenGenes

Keep in mind that if Cynthia McKinney gets 5% of the vote it can financially kick start the growth of the Green Party. Federal allow allows funding for such candidate’s party if the candidate gets 5% of the popular vote. That would mean MILLIONS of dollars for the Green Party in resources to begin to compete locally.

Most people don’t know about that aspect of Federal Party financing. 5% gets Federal “minor” party funding. Difficult threshold? Yes. Realistic? Certainly.

This video typifies the values of both the McKinney campaign and the Green Party. I certainly think 5% of the voters would agree with those values.

All they need is for that 5% to pull that lever, make that mark, punch that chad (clean through!) or hit that computer voting system (ugh). It’s realistic!

The original article I sent to Randy was this piece from Greg Palast. http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/obamas-secret-war-profiteering-tax

The title is a little disingenuous, though, because Obama’s position is the same as Hillary’s on the issue he’s talking about, but I guess he assumes (hopefully rightly) that real progressives are so beyond Hillary that it’s only worth bringing up Obama’s positions.

Also, Jenny, just a small thing: Obama wasn’t in the Senate when the PATRIOT act was being voted on.

And yep, such an excellent point about the 5%, GG. Thank you thank you.

6. jenny s.

he did vote for the patriot act…not the original one but he voted for the reauthorization of it. don’t see much of a difference.

Oh my gosh, you’re right! I didn’t know (or remember) that. Wow.

8. jenny s.

but to his credit he did have some good words about his vote (below). i think he’s def more liberal than he comes off. you can’t win by saying the truth. i was glad when i heard his preacher saying all those things..gave me some faith that maybe obama believes in the same things.

So, I will be supporting the PATRIOT Act compromise. But I urge my colleagues to continue working on ways to improve the civil liberties protections in the PATRIOT Act after it is reauthorized.