true confessions

So I’m on this Wild Edibles Yahoo group thingie and it’s generally pretty interesting. The grammatical errors on the site are truly terrifying, but apart from that I really enjoy it.  Sample question:

When picking edible mosses, is there anything I should watch out for?
Any poisionous ones I may get confused with?

Does anyone have any good info on foraging mosses. I only know a
handfull of mosses and a couple of sites I found on google.

I live in the mountainous regions of northern Ireland, its mainly all
bog, mosses, lichens and heather.

Thanks all, keep spreading the knowledge.

WTF? Edible mosses? Who knew, right?

But a bizarrely high number of these wild foodies are Jesus freaks, and that super freaks me out. Today the queen of them all asked a question about dandelions that I could answer, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Her email signature is:

His Servant Forever,
[Queen Jesus Freak]

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there
isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is.

Every single time I see one of her emails I have to bite my nails and my tongue and my fingers to keep myself from informing her that Richard Dawkins debunks all of Pascal’s Wager, as that bizarre idea is called, in The God Delusion, and perhaps I should scan in the relevant pages and send them to her.

Why? Why live your life under all these weird ideas and assumptions? Be bold! Live the way you want to live! Stand up to your fears of the afterlife! Get a fucking grip, freak!

O live and let live! It’s so insanely hard!

(The other bizarre thing about her signature is that when I first saw “His Servant Forever” I thought to myself: “There are some kinky people on this list!”)

31 Responses to “true confessions”

1. Sonshine

Hi,
    Well, since it’s my signature line you are remarking on, I felt it only fair to respond. Even though I’m a Christian and you’re an atheist, I don’t see where that should cause problems with sharing information. I would be happy to share any info I had with you. But it’s your perogative to refuse to answer a simple question regarding dandelions. Since the question had nothing to do with my faith though, I admit to being a little puzzled by your response. I’m secure enough in my faith that I have no problems associated with others that don’t share my point of view, aren’t you?

His Servant Forever,
    Katrina

2. Dawn

Wow…This is really fascinating. I am a Christian, though with the way some Christian’s behave I prefer to think of myself as a Jesus Freak. I think it is absolutely awesome that the God you do not believe actually warns us in the Bible that we will be reviled and hated because of Jesus.

Thank you so much for allowing God to use you to confirm His Word to me yet again. I absolutely love it. I will be praying for you.

In Christ,
    Dawn

3. Cheryl

Katrina, you are a light in the darkness.
    Matthew 5:14 says “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill can not be hid”
    In America we enjoy freedom of speech and freedom of religion. This is a freedom that I do not take for granted anymore. We are free to choose whom we serve, and what we say. And we respect all beliefs even if we don’t agree with them. I hope that others will do the same. I pray you will find peace, as your response tells me you are searching for something, and feel threatened by the very idea that someone loves and serves a living God.

Cheryl
    “Life isn’t waiting for the storms to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain”

4. Lars

Hi Lagusta,

I’m a member of the ForageAhead group too, and am not a Christian. And, after being a member of that group for over a year, I have no clue as to the religion of any single person on that group except the one person you mentioned. Her signature strikes me as over-the-top too, but that’s her thing. For you to say we’re all a bunch of Jesus freaks is simply a lie. Religion has never been a part of our wild food discussions in that group and probably would not be tolerated at all by the moderators. We’re about gathering wild foods. That’s it. As I said, I’m not Cristian either. In fact, I’m an atheist like yourself. But, I have no interest in getting in the face of someone like that one lady who has a preachy signature line. I only have a problem when people try to put their religion on me or when they judge me based on my religion or lack thereof – sort of like what you are doing to this lady (and the ForageAhead group, for that matter). If you are truly interested in organics, wild foods, etc., as your site suggests, you’d do yourself a favor to listen in on this group more often and just ignore that one person’s harmless signature line. You’ll find no other religious references made. And you just might learn a whole lot from the many authors and authorities on this list.

5. thanrose

Hi, Lagusta!

I’m another forage ahead member who kinda was startled by sonshine’s signature. I didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about it, but decided it was her choice to make and wasn’t proseletyzing.

There are naive and unlettered people on that list, but I can tell you for certain that at least a half dozen participants are very bright and educated people with open minds. I also know some very bright and educated people with open minds that are proseletyzers, so I think we lucked out.

Anyhow, this tempest brought me to your teapot, which I am enjoying. The metaphoric tea, not the tempest.

Hey everyone,

I didn´t mean to imply that I thought that everyone on the list has bought into the god lie, not at all. Sorry if that was unclear. Overall, I am enjoying the list mightily!

I listen to the news every day, and 90% or more of the ridiculousness in this world is people who have bought into the god delusion killing or hating others because they have a slightly different god delusion. I hate it and it makes me heartsick and I won´t shut up about it, ever.

Also: the next person who quotes a storybook on my blog as if it is truth will have their comment deleted. I just won´t stand for that sort of willful ignorance on my little corner of the Internet.

8. jennys

“Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organisation be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path.”

Are you trying to use some sort of Christian emoticon? I don’t get it. If it’s a Jesus emoticon, I’ve got to give you props for that, that is pretty damn hardcore.

10. Anyone

,<>

Well said .
    Forcing Atheist belief is just as ignorant as forcing Christianity.

Um, I never understand this argument. I’m not forcing anything. I’m not the one with the crazy email signature. I talk about it on my blog, but no one is forced to read my blog. I don’t want to force anything–I just want freedom to do and say whatever I want, as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone. Christianity hurts lots of people every day. Atheists don’t kill people for not being atheists, atheists don’t tell people they are going to burn in hell, atheists just want to enjoy life in peace.

I want freedom to ignore religion and for people to respect or ignore my choices, if they can’t respect them. I can’t respect Christians, so I ignore them, and I expect to be treated the same.

Katrina’s subject line is hard for me to ignore, so instead of emailing her personally about it, which I didn’t do because I don’t believe in harassing people (and because I didn’t care so much about her personally, I care more about the idea behind the impulse to become a god delusionist), I removed her name from it and discussed it on my blog.

12. Anyone

You can always say you are not forcing anyone, but neither is the other in her email signature.
    No one forces anything with a signature line -whether it is hard to miss or not .
    It says how they identify themselves, …. not what they think someone else is supposed to believe.
    But, ….you do quite the opposite.
    As you publish a person’s sig line from an email group on your blog …that is hard to miss,…. and you go much further by
    whining and complaining about a person , making nasty remarks about their beliefs,
    ( this is someone claiming to be SO upset about the hate to victims of those who fight over religion)
    The forceful behavior is yours here, and yours alone to own, up through your blog.
    As I don’t believe in evangelizing Christianity in principle, your actions appear to be quite similar to what I witness Christians doing when they inflate conflict.
    This is exactly how it starts, and you are acting it out .

13. Lars

I think you should do some serious reflection on this. If you step back and calmly compare your blog post to that of the lady in question, you’ll see that yours is far more hateful and vitriolic than anything that lady has ever said. The subject matter of her posts has always been about wild edible plants. Not a hint of religion. Her signature line is just her choice of how she likes to identify herself. You, on the other hand, went into a bit of a tyrade about her and the entire group. Your rant about your views was far worse than anything she or anyone in that group has ever wriiten. And worse, for someone who has a blog supposedly devoted to spreading information about organics, vegan lifestyle, etc, you bashed the entire group saying “a bizarely high number… are Jesus Freaks.” That’s simply a lie with no basis in fact. And with this lie, you turn your readers away from an incredible source of information. You should really do some introspection and come to terms with whatever is bugging you. I too resent religious people getting in my face with their beliefs, as well as all of the attrocites done in the name of religions worldwide, but I can tell the difference between a religeous rant and someone merely identifying their beliefs. And, I certainly respect my readers enough (I’m a published nature and history writer) not to lie to them to make my point.

14. Luann

Sooo…even though this is her personal blog, and as far as I know she didn’t take this to the group at large, it’s a problem?

I’m confused. I mean, granted this is a public space on the internet, but it’s also personal, in that it belongs to Ms. Lagusta. So what if she wants to complain about someone’s email sig? Is it really that big a deal?

Dearest published nature and history writer,

Yes, I am super annoyed by Christians, OK? I think they need to do about 1,000 years of reparations before I am not annoyed by every single one of them. I won’t identify myself as Jewish because of what Jews have done to Palestinians even though my family is Jewish, and I don’t think any self-respecting Christian who values human life should call themselves Christian either, just to make up for what insane abortion-clinic-bombing Christians have done (just to name one small small small example out of ZILLIONS).

So what, I’m a childish baby. And you know what? Atheists deserve to be childish babies for years and years and years, while they get over what Christians and other god delusionists have done to this planet.

Yay, I said it!

With respect for my readers,
    Lagusta

Thanks Luann! I was telling someone about that patch you made the other day, so rad!!

17. Lars

I think you’re putting too fine of a pointy on the problem by calling it a “god” problem. What you are describing is intolerance. People being intolerant of other peoples beliefs or lack thereof. I’m honestly not trying to fight wity you, but am simply trying to have you hold a mirror up and look honestly at yourself and your actions. You rant about intolerance, but your blog showed far more intolerance of another persons beliefs (or non-beliefs) than anything that lady ever wrote. I abhor religious lunacy as much as you do, but I don’t think you realize you are doing the same thing, just under a different label. You are becoming (or have become?) the very person you seem to be railing against.

18. Luann

Ahaha, my embroidery was so bad then. Well it’s still bad, but that was beginning-embroidery-bad.

One day when I figure out how to work my digital camera I’ll send you a pic of the tiny sea turtle “Mother Earth” patch I made. Much nicer.

hmm in order for god to be dead, god would’ve had to exist…

i love how everyone strives for “tolerance” like it’s such a wonderful thing. lagusta, i “tolerate” you… doesn’t that make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

hahaha hilarious… xoxo

20. Anyone

Well , it is certainly an eye opener.
    I used to think an avowed atheist had a strong enough intellect to caution themselves from doing the exact judgmental behavior of extremist Christians , or any other religious extremist , but I have discovered here that this is not the case.
    Some clearly do not have the mental capabilities I originally thought – here is a display of the same hypocritical quagmire as anyone else.

Brittany: yep, I just threw “god is dead” in there for fun. I like inserting inconsistencies because it makes some people so angry, and it doesn’t bother me at all, you know?

And yes, “tolerance” — oh, I won’t even go down that road, how anytime you stand up for anything at all people call you “intolerant.”

22. Anyone

Anyone who has no tolerance for other people’s beliefs or existance are those who endanger a country with a theocracy.
    An Atheist theocracy – which this person obviously proposes… is just as bad as any named organized religious theocracy.
    Writing something just to bring about anger shows also a lack of ethics.
    Someone like this will steal right behind one’s back.
    I would not do business with an individual like this who trolls messages boards and steals .

You might want to look “theocracy” up in a dictionary.

I don’t say provocative things to bring about anger, I say them to make people think.

24. Anyone

You just said anger earlier in another post – you should try reading what you write .

You have the attitude of one who thinks they can dictate what others can believe – which is no better than a governmental system that dictates the same.

haha now you’re a thief!

and an “atheist theocracy”?!?!?!?! hahahahahahahahahaha… is that like “reverse racism”?

this gets better and better…