Who receives the few kisses not meant for Brittany
My lesbian lover* is doing a presentation on social networks and drew up a list of upstatey political blogs to accompany it. I went through and checked out each one, and here are the ones I’m planning on keeping up with. (Can I make every sentence in this post end with a preposition?) There were some great-seeming Albany-oriented blogs, but I just can’t force myself to get into NYS politics outside my teeny tiny 12,000 person bubble, so I left those off. And though she was so good and balanced and had some conservative blogs, I left those off because I found them all moderately stupid (the best compliment I can give to a conservative blog–and yes, our bestie/beastie New Paltz Journal was among them).
Highlights and notes:
- Pete Wassell’s blog – a Dutchess county legislator, and cool dude. Not often updated, but interesting, smart, and right (and by that I mean left).
- HV Labor Report – Labor issues
- Those Who Show Up – Best name for a liberal blog ever!
- Blaber News – Cute picture of BT right on the front page!
- Just Something 2 [sic] Think About
- Ulster County Fishbowl
- Ulster County Mojo
Also! Dear world: because I know you write blogs in order for me to read them, here is a handy list of reasons I will leave your blog in haste:
- It mentions sports teams, even tangentially. I am painfully allergic to said topic and seriously think anyone and everyone who follows sports teams is the worst sort of chauvinist, duped-by-the-machine idiot. White dudes who fetishize old-timey baseball are a subset of people in the sports-team-worshipping category that make me instantly puke in my mouth.
- It’s bonkers, or even just borderline bonkers.
- Quotes from founding fathers are sprinkled around.
- You’re a white dude and aren’t gay or vegan or have anything at all vaguely interesting about you. (Someday I’ll talk about my very 1995 attitude that gay people are cooler than nongays because anyone who has to work to overcome obstacles society throws at them is automatically cool, and how I should really grow out of this idiotic and faintly demeaning attitude)
- Your blog is just plain ugly (not to mention contains other major flaws I am too awesome to stoop to discussing)
- Your blog magically combines all these and makes me instantly vomit.
- You’re a libertarian. I agree with a teeny sliver of what libertarians believe, but let’s face it: they are all, without exception, annoying dweebs. Am I wrong? NO. I have a longstanding bet with a local lib that I will donate $100 to the libertarian group of his choice if he can find a working-class, non-white, GLBTQ libertarian activist. Because no such people exist, which proves that the libertarian party is a party for upper class anti-choice white idiot dudes, I will never have to pay this bet. (And in case some internet crazy finds someone fitting this description, I’d like to state that I am not making that bet with the entire internet, freaks.)
Not entirely related, but Billiam’s list of stuff to do this weekend is awesome, as usual. Oooh, I loves me some Billiam. For some reason he seems to live to tell me dirty jokes, which is an awesome thing to live for, if you ask me.
*I want to make clear that by calling Brittany my be-quoted “lesbian lover” when she in fact is not, I am not making fun of lesbians, who are my BFFs! I am making fun of the fact that there are apparently people in New Paltz who actually think that our blossomy, very public, very Facebooky friendship means that we must be sleeping together. Just so we’re clear!